It’s almost that time of year again; pumpkin spice everything, fall leaves, and cooler weather. It’s time to put away the swimsuits and flip flops and bring out the jackets and boots. Although I’m sad summer is over, I love fall fashion and I’ve rounded up 22 fall fashion essentials.
For me, fall is all about layering. You never know what the weather is going to be like, so you need to prepare for anything. Find shirts and jackets that can be layered on top and then tied around the waist when it gets warmer.
A lot of fall fashion is about color and comfort. I think fall is more focused on colors than other seasons. Warm tones, burgundy, and olive green are seen everywhere. It’s also about comfort, so go for items that look great, but feel great too. For me, bulky sweaters and comfy warm booties are a must.
Here are 22 fall fashion essentials to help you look on point all season long:
- Plaid Shirt – Plaid shirts are a must for fall. They are cozy and warm. Throw on a pair of jeans and a plaid shirt and you’ve got a great outfit. This shirt is only $18.00 and it comes in several colors at H&M.
- Chambray Shirt – A bottom-up chambray shirt is great for layering on top of a dress or tee shirt. They aren’t too bulky but still add some extra warmth.
- Comfy Sweater – Comfy bulky sweaters never go out of style and they are perfect for crisp autumn days. Nothing is more “fall” than a comfy sweater.
- Striped Shirt – I just love stripes all year round. This stripped peplum tee is a basic that could be worn a lot of different ways. I think Peplum style tops are also really flattering.
- Cardigan – Cardigans are definitely an essential for fall. Adding that additional layer on top can make such a huge difference. I like this cardigan because it’s lighter weight and not too bulky. I also think the longer length looks sleek.
- Leather Jacket – A nice leather jacket can be a timeless piece that can be worn through fall and winter.
- Field Jacket/Utility Jacket – A simple cargo or utility jacket is something you’ll reach for time and time again because it goes with so many different outfits.
- Vest – A vest is something you should really invest in. It’s so versatile. I personally love putting a vest over a thermal top or long sleeved shirt.
- Denim Jacket – I’ve been seeing a lot of denim lately, and I think it’s only going to get more popular this fall. A good denim jacket can be a great extra layer.
- Wool Coat – For those extra chilly days, go for a wool coat. They are so warm and can also look very sleek.
- Leggings – Remember a few years ago the whole “leggings aren’t pants” discussion. Well, I think people decided they don’t care if they are pants or not they are wearing them anyway. I love leggings and how can you go wrong with a pair of black ones.
- Distressed Denim – I think distressed denim isn’t going away anytime soon, so you might as well hope on the band wagon.
- Coated Jeans – Black coated jeans are slimming and look edgy. You can go for the rocker vibe or a chic look.
- Fall Dress – I love this simple green dress because you can style it a lot of different ways. One of my favorite ways to wear a dress in fall is to add a cardigan or jacket with some cute ankle booties.
- Pointed Flats – I like wearing flats when I want to look a little more dressed up, but still feel comfortable.
- Knee High Boot – If you plan on tromping through some pumpkin patches or corn mazes, I’d recommend some cute knee high boots.
- Sneakers – A good pair of sneakers is great for all seasons. I love my slip-on van sneakers and I always seem to reach for them in my closet.
- Ankle Booties – Ankle booties with skinny jeans are must this season. They are warm, comfy, and can be dressed up or down.
- Delicate Jewelry Pieces – I like bling, but I make sure to pick out simple pieces, especially when I’m wearing bold colors, lots of layers, or patterns.
- Plaid Scarfs – You can add another layer of warmth with a cute scarf. I think bulky plaid scarfs are great for cooler days.
- Cranberry Lipstick – Bold lips are nice for fall. Cranberry, burgundy, and dark berry colors make me think of the hues of fall.
- Wool Fedora or Floppy Hats – You can’t always have a great hair day, and when you don’t wear a hat.
What are some of your fall fashion essentials?
What I Wore: